HS005 Earn 12 CE credits. Approved by the NCBTMB (Provider #155301-00). Approved in most states, including NY & Florida! Click here to discover your state regulations regarding massage therapy and continuing education (CBTMB) requirements. A passing score of 75% minimum will enable your transcripts and certificates. Earn NCBTMB, State, & Ayurvedic PACE credits.
Transcripts and certificate will be ready for download upon a passing score of at least 75% for the NCBTMB, & PACE credits. You will receive an automated email with login credentials within 48 hours of purchasing this course.
Home Study package price includes the shirodhara system.
This is an ancient oil therapy from Ayurveda. Ayurveda is a time-proven, evidence-based holistic medical system of self-healing. This is potentially one of the most "spiritually awakening" therapies on the planet and it is one of my most favorite therapies to give my clients. It raises consciousness, bliss, peace, removes stress and so much more. I find I receive the benefits when I GIVE the treatment!
Anyone can take this course. You don't have to be a healer or massage therapist. This particular shirodhara therapy is very unique because I incorporate heated and chilled sea stones to help harmonize and ground my clients during this very uplifting therapy. It helps pacify the "internal wind" we all carry around from stress. I also use stones in the oil to help regulate the temperature of the oil, as well as infuse the prana from the ocean that is within the matrix of each stone.
BENEFITS OF SHIRODHARA THERAPY:
- Eliminates diseases of head and disorders affecting neck, eyes, ears, nose and nervous system.
- Balances the third eye and stimulates the nervous system by releasing neuro-hormones and creating ecstatic feelings of relaxation and pleasure.
- Helps overcome stress and its ill effects on nervous system
- Helps relieve insomnia, fatigue, tension, anxiety, anger, chronic headaches, rheumatism, hypertension, asthma, hair problems and stress
- Gives great mental relaxation
- Invigorates the body and mind and stimulate cognitive memories.
- Disperses negative electrical impulses that accumulate at the skull and hairline from stress.
- Renews the sweetness of life.
- Rejuvenates the entire face and softens worry lines.
- Opens the third eye.
- Heightens the senses.
- Increases intuition.
- Activates the pituitary gland.
- Increases spiritual awareness.
- Regulates mood and depression disorders.
- Activates the memory.
- Stimulates the 6 & 7th charka which regulates our breathing patterns.
Master Instructor: Karyn Marie Chabot, M.Ay, LMT, RYT
“One who applies oil on his head regularly does not suffer from headache, baldness, graying of hair, nor does his hair fall. Strength of his head and forehead is especially enhanced; his hair becomes black, long and deep-rooted; his sense organs work properly; the skin of his face becomes brightened; applying oil on the head produces sound sleep and happiness.”
Ayurvedic physician Charaka, in the first text on Ayurveda, written over 2,000 years ago.
This therapy is an excellent addition to your massage or healing practice. It includes marma massage of the face, head, neck, shoulders and feet. This ancient therapy enlivens the “mind” or innate intelligence that lives in every cell in our body. It is a mind-melting experience, where it clears away negative thoughts by dispersing the negative electrical impulses that accumulate at our foreheads form overthinking and stress. It is one of the only therapies that assists in raising consciousness, allowing for spiritual and cellular activations within the physiology. These spiritual heights can also be reached during deep meditation.
Students will learn the concepts, theory, how to operate the shirodhara system and give a treatment, benefits and precautionary measures. Shirodhara therapy involves a controlled flow of warm oil is gently poured over the “Ajna” or third eye chakra. The oil then streams down the crown chakra, which magnifies the senses, awakens the body’s natural healing process, reverses imbalances within the body, rejuvenates the face and renews the sweetness of life Shirodhara is one of the most unique therapies available for reducing stress and enhancing cellular intelligence and immunity.
Overlooked by Western medicine and well-understood by Ayurveda are the 13 emissary veins that literally drain your brain through your skull. In most people, there are 13 holes in the skull that veins pass through, and the clinical significance of this is astounding. First, these veins are bi-directional, which means that can either take waste out of the brain into the veins of the scalp, back into vascular circulation, or they can potentially transport nutrients or dangerous toxins and infections from outside of the skull into the brain.
What does Deepak Chopra say about Shirodhara? Learn more.
Please Note: To become an effective shirodhara therapist, it takes devotion, practice and more practice. The motivation to learn shirodhara therapy must come from your heart. It is not a therapy you can learn in a few days and become an expert, nor is this a therapy you should water- down in order to make make more money in your spa. This is a very sacred, profound art that takes lots of time and dedication to learn.
Shirodhara Therapy is offered at many medical wellness clinics, hospitals in the most elite beauty spas around the world. Some of the spas call it the Himalayan Treatment and others call it Soothing Forehead Therapy. Many medical spas are adopting this ancient therapy as a means for reversing the aging process and removing stress from the mind and physiology. If this therapy is done properly and on a regular basis, it can transform one’s life on all levels. Ayurvedic and consciousness therapies such as shirodhara, are among the most subtle, yet, most powerful treatments for a plethora of disorders, but in the west, it is used mostly for developing a sense of well-being and restoring the harmony the weaves the body, mind and spirit together. Sacred Stone Shirodhara Therapy includes massage of the head and feet and a layout of heated sea stones over, under and alongside the body.
Shirodhara translated means “the flowing of oil like a thread (dhara) on the head (shiro)”. This treatment provides a platform for warm oil to flow in a steady stream gently over the third eye located on the forehead and over the top of the head (crown chakra). Shirodhara rejuvenates both the mind and the senses, which allow the body’s natural healing mechanisms to release stress from the nervous system, improve mental clarity and comprehension. Shirodhara is a profound mind-melting, sacred treatment using medicinal Ayurvedic oils, sometimes followed or proceeded by massage. Shirodhara uses oils, butters and milks made with special herbs that calm and nourish the nervous system. During traditional shirodhara, a thin stream of warm liquid flows from a copper vessel hung approximately 6-8 inches above the client’s forehead. The actual flow of oil takes between 20-40 minutes. Upon graduation, you will be a Certified Sacred Stone Shirodhara Therapist!
This therapy usually takes about 70 minutes and 2 quarts of oil, depending on the length and thickness of your client’s hair. You can charge between $90.00 – $225.00 depending on where you work.
When you register for one of our courses, you will receive an email with directions to gain access to our student learning area, Student Central. Student Central offers our students a centralized location for their course materials, including PDF manuals, eDVDs, multiple choice exams (open-book), course forms, and instant NCBTMB transcripts and certificates. Student Central allows our students to get their courses completed easier and faster than ever!
This course allows students to download the eDVD(s) and PDF manual(s) to their computer, for viewing at any time and as often as they wish. Once you download your course materials, they are yours forever. Students will also have access to their course files via our Student Central web area.
- Answer the 3 summary questions as found on the summary form. You may print the form and answers may be handwritten, scan or photo to email or you may type out the questions and type the answers to attach in Word or PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Develop 5 critical essay reports for each of your 5 practice sessions on what parts of each session you would change and what skills you excelled in. This should be a step by step analysis of each session. Each essay should be 2 pages on 8 X 11, typed in 12 inch font and attached to email@example.com. Each report should take approximately 1 hour to write thoughtfully.
- Submit 5 practicum forms from your 5 practice sessions with a short testimonial from your practice clients attached to an email. Each practice session should take about 75 minutes.
- Submit a youtube video of your best “practice 75-minute session” from start to finish. Send the youtube link to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Required Reading: 1. Sacred Stone Shirodhara Therapy 76-page illustrated manual that comes with the cost of the course. 2. Dr. John Doulliard’s Encyclopedia of Ayurvedic Massage at this link is included in the cost of this course and will be sent to your home. (309 illustrated pages. 119,730 words. Notice the cover of the book has a shirodhara picture).
- Achieve a passing grade of at least 75% on the multiple choice exam
- Students have 1 year to complete, self-paced. We always allow extensions for extenuating circumstances.
- Online Enrollment
- One PDF (digital) 86 page training manual (print or read online)
- Course forms, exams, transcripts
- Shirodhara Therapy eDVD that can be downloaded with unlimited viewing.
- Dr. John Doulliard’s book: The Encyclopedia of Ayurvedic Massage
- Shirodhara Equipment (your own is fine)
- Shirodhara Oil (visit our store)
- Nasya Oil (optional) (visit our store)
- Neem Oil (optional) (visit our store)